Friday, October 3, 2008

And the greatest of these is love

Why is it that typically, not all the time, but typically, people who don't follow Jesus are so much more accepting of me than those people who do?

I just got done studying with two girls in my oceanography class. Well the studying only lasted about 10 minutes until of course we start talking about ex-boyfriends and relationships. The conversation then leads to the question, " So how many times have you had sex with someone?" Just straight up, just like that. Maybe it's because I constantly am surrounded by my friends from church but, that was the first time I have ever been asked that question and it took me back a little.
" Oh me? Well um I haven't had sex."
" Are you serious?"
" Yes, I'm actually saving myself, for when I get married."
They didn't say anything for a few seconds haha, I felt a little awkward because I barely even know these girls. So they asked
"Well is it because you have never had a boyfriend?"
" No, I have had a boyfriend. I don't have sex because of my commitment to God."
" Ooooh, so your really religious?"
" Well, I have never liked putting it that way but yes I believe in God."

The next hour our books were closed and we talked about God, religion, and sex. Half way through i realized something. They don't live the way I choose to live, they don't follow Jesus, yet I felt like they were so genuine and interested in who I was as a person and in what I believed. Now why was I not the same for them? I wanted to be.
So I just started asking them tons of questions, trying to get to know them as much as I could, I mean, they now knew I was living for God, following Jesus. My commandment is to love them and to be intentional with them wether they know that about me or not.

It blew me away. How much they cared about my life, about me. I can truely say that even with my closest friends, especially in the church, I have only felt that way a few times.


Why?
It almost makes me angry.

Pray for me, and pray for the church that follows Jesus, that we can love the way these two girls loved me today.

No comments: